Are you looking to buy an effective cutter to cut those metallic sheets and carve out precise shapes for constructional use? Or do you need a metallic cutter for your DIY projects? Well, whatever be your need, you must consider the plasma cutters that are rapidly gaining popularity.
Plasma cutting is the process of cutting through electrically conductive material using ionized gas or plasma. The technique is widely used to cut metals like aluminum, steel, iron, copper, and the like.
The best plasma cutters not only provide precision in cutting but also complete their job much quicker than metal cutters. But with a plethora of plasma cutters available on the internet, it’s difficult to choose the right one.
The varied range of prices also makes buying the plasma cutter a tough choice. That’s why our team of experts has reviewed the best plasma cutters and curated a list of top options out of them.
Table of Contents
- 1 List of 8 Best Plasma Cutters for CNC, Farm, and Beginners
- 1.1 1. Hypertherm 088079 Powermax30 XP Building America Edition Hand Plasma System- A cutter for both thick and thin metal cuttings
- 1.2 2. Lotos LTP5000D 50Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter- The Budget Cutter that does it all
- 1.3 3. CUT-50, 50 Amp Pro. Plasma Cutter- Low Maintenance cutter at a budget
- 1.4 4. PrimeWeld 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter, Portable Plasma Cutting Machine- A Durable Cutter at a Budget
- 1.5 5. SUPER DEAL DC Inverter Plasma Cutter Welding Machine With Screen Display- The Safest Cutter great for DIY enthusiasts
- 1.6 6. Miller Electric Plasma Cutter- The Best Plasma Cutter for Industrial Use
- 1.7 7. Hobart 500564 Airforce 12ci Plasma Cutter- A Trusted cutter with maximum precision
- 1.8 8. Hypertherm Powermax45 XP- Smallest yet Most powerful Plasma Cutter
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Our Top Pick
- 5 Final Verdict
List of 8 Best Plasma Cutters for CNC, Farm, and Beginners
As basic as the device seems, buying the plasma cutter can be a tough choice. That’s mainly because plasma cutters vary a lot in terms of prices, quality, purpose, and durability.
A plasma cutter’s input voltage determines how thick a metal it can cut while its duty cycle determines its durability. Now the prices of a plasma cutter can vary from $200 to $3000 and further.
Their weights also vary from 20 pounds to 100 pounds and more. So you can understand how differently built cutters will be built for different purposes. Having a cutter that cuts thin sheets well but can’t cut above ¼” thickness isn’t ideal if your work involves cutting thicker sheets.
Similarly, you’d need lighter and more portable cutters for DIY projects. That is the reason why you need to check out the complete guide after reading the review of the best plasma cutters to make a better buying decision.
1. Hypertherm 088079 Powermax30 XP Building America Edition Hand Plasma System- A cutter for both thick and thin metal cuttings
If you’re looking for a metal cutter for quick thick or intricately detailed thin metal cutting, look no further than the Hypertherm cutter. Working at a high input power of 240V, the cutter can deliver up to 16mm thick metal cuttings in a quick time.
But that’s not it. The versatile cutter can quickly adjust its voltage in the range of 120V to 240V depending upon your needs. That will save you a lot of electricity apart from completing the work quickly.
Despite all its power and workability, the cutter weighs just 9.8kg. Moreover, the small size and the additional strap make the cutter a portable option for various parts of the factory.
This one of the best plasma cutters is designed to withstand high temperatures with its rugged, 4.5 m (15′) torch lead. The cutter only uses compressed Nitrogen avoiding the need for expensive and explosive gases. You will also get 2 metal wheels, a cap holder, magnetic base, center pin, and suction cups, which are easy to carry in a plastic case.
- The Circle Cutting guide included in the package makes the cutter easy to install
- You will get everything from a rotating torch cap holder to a magnetic base in a hard carry case for easy portability.
- Auto-voltage automatically adapts to the power requirements and saves power.
- Duramax LT Torch Design ensures a comfortable grip for safe handling.
- The kit comes with gloves, eye shields, Finecut consumable making it a one-stop solution.
- The design of the cutter is such that it provides [Jd2] a comfortable grip for smooth handling
- The carrying case that comes with a cutter makes it a portable option for all your needs.
- Its auto voltage adjustment ensures you won’t run the risk of getting your cutter damaged easily.
- The two in one design makes it ideal for both thick and thin metal cuttings.
- It’s relatively expensive as compared to other metal cutters offering similar features although it’s a complete package, so you don’t need to buy anything else
2. Lotos LTP5000D 50Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter- The Budget Cutter that does it all
If you are looking for a plasma cutter to cut your painted metal surfaces, it has to be contact-free. Lotos non-touch plasma cutter does just that. Its pilot arc technology ensures it can cut through rusty and painted surfaces with minimal slag because it never comes in contact with the surface.
The plasma cutter, despite its inexpensive cost, comes with a voltage adjustment feature that allows it to be used on 220V as well as 11V depending upon your requirement. The package overall is quite compact and can fit easily on a small work desk.
The compact package has an optimized design that can provide both and high as well as low power output for thick and thin metal cuttings, respectively. It isn’t particularly fit for factories but works quite well for DIY as well as smaller projects.
- Adjustable Voltage 110V/220V
- IGBT/MOSFET based high-frequency inverter technology for precision
- Non-Touch Plasma Arc Cutter fit for shiny surfaces.
- Air Filter Regulator and pre-installed NPT D plug to set up within a minute
- Advanced Cooling System for consistent performance
- The package comes with a power supply, plasma torch, air filter regulator as well as D Plug for easy installation.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The price is quite low for one of the best plasma cutters of this quality.It uses non-hazardous compressed air, which makes it a safe option
- The product isn’t suitable for industrial use but works good enough for home, and small workshop uses
3. CUT-50, 50 Amp Pro. Plasma Cutter- Low Maintenance cutter at a budget
If you are looking for a plasma cutter to carry out door-to-door tasks or for DIY projects, Cut-50 is an excellent option at a low cost. The cutter comes at a low price, but you won’t need to touch it to the surface. It would work just fine despite not coming in contact with the sheet.
Its meter and adjustment are attached at the front of the machine for quick and smooth usage. The plasma cutter has an ergonomic design that is easy to handle from the top.
It comes with plug adapters that ensure you can start using it in minutes of getting it delivered. Much like other cutters at this price point, Cut-50 is built with heat and impact-resistant material for better longevity.
Its digital air inverter technology allows it to cut as thin as 1.0″ with high precision. Of course, it’s not industrial quality but is good enough for home as well as workshop usage.
Its digital air inverter technology allows it to cut as thin as 1.0″ with high precision. Of course, it’s not industrial quality but is good enough for home as well as workshop usage.
- Auto Voltage Adjustment from 100 V to 240V input power
- Plug Adapters included for quick installation.
- Ideal for stainless steel, alloy steel, aluminum, copper, and more
- Comes with a 630A work clamp and cable along with a pressure gauge, so you don’t have to buy anything additionally.
- The cutter has enough power and precision to be used in all DIY projects and comes at an unbeatable price point.
- Its non-touch design ensures it won’t spoil shiny or rusty surfaces.
- It weighs just 31 pounds, which makes it easier to use at home.
- It’s air-cooled by a fan to ensure protection against excessive heat.
- The product has encountered air leak at times, but that is the case with a few consumers only
4. PrimeWeld 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter, Portable Plasma Cutting Machine- A Durable Cutter at a Budget
If you’re looking for a plasma torch cutter that can last for years, PrimeWield is quite a durable option for you. Its 3 years warranty and excellent performance make it one the best plasma cutters at the price point.
The 50 Amp Digital Plasma Cutter can handle both thick and thin cutting tasks with ease. It can cut ½” with a severance thickness of 3/4″ with ease. Thus, the cutter is ideal for both home and office uses.
The cutter has an ergonomic design, which is easy to handle from the center. Its control and display panel is available on the front, and you can easily check the pressure from the gauge given there. The cutter also comes with 6 air hose connections along with 2 air hose to quick start your operation.
- 110V-220V adjustable input power
- Includes plasma cutting torch, hose, clampers, ground clamp, and cable
- It comes with a massive 3-year warranty.
- The high-frequency plasma cutter ensures a cleaner cut with less distortion.
- The low price and high durability of the cutter make it one of the best plasma cutters under $500
- It demands less maintenance and cleaning apart from safeguarding from fire hazards.
- Its design is based on MOSFET transistors that can provide both steady output and high power output for thick and thin cuttings.
- You need to manually install the 220V power plug and quick disconnect coupler that isn’t available with the package
5. SUPER DEAL DC Inverter Plasma Cutter Welding Machine With Screen Display- The Safest Cutter great for DIY enthusiasts
If you’re looking for a cutter ideal for home DIY usage, you would want a safe one. Your cousin might want to use it, or you may not be an expert at the craft. So to prevent any accidents, the cutter should include some kind of safety.
Super Deal cutter comes with under-voltage, overheat, and over-voltage protection as well as lack of air protection. The cooling fan in this cutter works at great speeds to efficiently dissipate the heat generated by the cutter.
Moreover, the 220V cutter uses only standard household power, which makes it easier to use for home projects. The power inverter weighs as little as just 22lbs, which is at least half of what other cutters in this range. The cutter’s lightweight is also important for easy mobility around the house. It also comes with a pilot arc striking system for touch-free cutting.
- Package Includes complete starter kit – LG-40 cutting torch, grounding clamp, 1 air regulator, 2 plasma tips, PG Head, 2 gas pipe claspers, 2 hoops, chipping hammer/ wire brush tool, welding face mask, pressure reducing valve, and Owner’s Manual.
- The cutter works at household power at 110V/220V AC.
- It automatically adjusts the output current.
- It has a digital display upfront.
- The cutter meets all the safety standards for use at home.
- You can easily check the current and voltage through the digital display given in front.
- It is extremely lightweight and inexpensive, which makes it one of the best plasma cutters for DIY enthusiasts.
- You’ll get continuous current regulation and high cutting speeds to get your sheets cut in seconds
- No Downside
6. Miller Electric Plasma Cutter- The Best Plasma Cutter for Industrial Use
You’d have to pay a higher amount if you want exceptional power in your plasma cutter. If you’re looking for a cutter for your construction sites or factory, investing in a premium option like Miller Electric is ideal.
It has a rated output of 40A at 140V DC and a cutting capacity of ⅝”, PSI 90and is head and shoulders above the household plasma cutters. Its 20ft work clamp and 12 fr power cord ensure you can use it anywhere in your workspace with ease. You can cut large metal sheets smoothly because of the long work clamp.
The product is manufactured in the United States from Miller Electric, which is a brand known for its safe and non-hazardous equipment. The design isn’t very attractive but workable enough.
- Long Cable Length of 12″
- 12ft Hand Held Torch for easy operation at worksites
- Heavy Duty 20ft clamp that connects quickly
- Adjustable Input Voltage 120V-240V
- Comes with Adapter and Extra Consumable
- The Heavy Duty Plasma Cutter is built to lasting.
- Works well for industrial uses because of its high frequency, longhand held torch, and work clamp.
- Easy to carry
- Comes with all the attachments
- Extremely expensive as compared to other products in the list of best plasma cutters.
7. Hobart 500564 Airforce 12ci Plasma Cutter- A Trusted cutter with maximum precision
If your work involves precision cutting, here is a plasma cutter from the trusted brand Hobart built for you. Coming at a moderate price segment, Hobart has built an Airforce 12ci cutter that has a built-in air compressor meant to cut intricately detailed designs up to a thickness of ⅛”.
The compressor is portable and ready to cut straight out of the box. It saves you a lot of hassle of installing the product and buying additional accessories to make it work. In a moving environment where you need a single cutter for multiple needs, Hobart Airforce is just the right choice.
It has a pre-set pressure and doesn’t come with an additional gauge. It’s particularly built for finely detailed metal cuttings and doesn’t cut too thick surfaces. Its minimum cutting thickness is ⅛,” while it can cut up to a maximum of ¼.”
That might be a turnoff for users who need a cutter that can make the thickest as well as the thinnest of the cuttings. But it’s ideal equipment if you need thin and finely detailed designs since it works at a constant input voltage of 120V.
- Built-in Compressor
- 120V input voltage
- 27 pounds weight
- 5-Year warranty
- The cutter is particularly designed for ease of operation with no gas pressure settings or flame tuning.
- It has a built-in air compressor that makes it a self-sufficient machine.
- It provides precise thin cuts as it operates on a steady and low voltage and can cut up to ⅛” thickness.
- You’ll get a massive 5-year warranty with this.
- The machine isn’t good enough for making thick metal cuttings
8. Hypertherm Powermax45 XP- Smallest yet Most powerful Plasma Cutter
Big things come in small packets. If there is an apt example for the saying, it’s the Hypertherm Powermax plasma cutter. Weighing at just 36 pounds and measuring at 17.4 x 6.8 x 14.1 inches, the plasma cutter can cut the thickest of the metals up to 16mm (⅝”).
The reputable cutter comes with a patented drag cutting technology that can be used easily by newbies. So you won’t need to hire a separate machine operator, and you can train your previous employees to use this.
The machine automatically sets air pressure, ensuring you won’t need to fear setting the pressure wrong. That is one reason why the machine doesn’t need a specialist operator despite it being of industrial use.
Its cut speeds are up to 1.5 times faster than oxy cutters, and it is also suitable for cutting metals as thin as ¼”. It has a 20′ hand torch that makes it extremely useful for construction activities. The machine has simple controllers at the front and can be used for both home and work activities because of its portability.
- 20′ hand torch
- 36 pounds lightweight
- ⅝” cut capacity is best in class
- Works well on thin ¼” metals
- The machine is best in class for smooth cutting of thick metals by a margin.
- Its compact size makes it easier to port around in an office.
- The device automatically adjusts its air pressure.
- The equipment is quite expensive, and you would only pay that amount if you need industrial quality precision and speed.
Plasma cutters are one of the quickest and most effective tools to cut through sheets of hard metal like iron, steel, aluminum, copper, and so on. The plasma cutter doesn’t cut the metallic sheets through another metal but instead burns through the metal with plasma.
That enhances the precision and detailing while preserving the texture of the metal. But there are a lot of factors you need to consider before buying expensive equipment.
If you’re new to the field and don’t have much of an idea about how to spend on it depending on your usage, we have got you covered. Here we list the most crucial factors that you must weigh in before buying a plasma cutter:
The plasma air cutters use compressed air to create plasma. Some plasma cutters have inbuilt air compressors, while others need an external compressor to create plasma.
Both types provide excellent results, but you need to consider which one suits you. A cutter with a built-in compressor typically suits household and smaller uses. You’d be better off using external compressors in factory locations and construction sites.
Also Read:- Flux Core Vs MIG Welding
A pilot arc is a technology that helps cut the metal surface without the cutter getting in contact with it. That not only increases the life of the cutter but also prevents any slags from developing onto the surface of the metal.
It also comes in useful while cutting rusty surfaces, which you typically have to clean before striking. The latest innovation is now available in inexpensive cutters too.
Plasma cutters are typically available in 110V, 220V, and dual voltage options. 110V and 115V cutters are ideal for household usage as they don’t need much power. But industrial cutters ideally should have a dual voltage option.
That will help you get enough power for all your needs. You can use the 230V option when you have a generator and need to cut a thick sheet, while the 110V will work for lighter uses and thinner sheets.
Another crucial factor to consider before buying a plasma cutter is how thick a sheet can your cutter cut. Determine the maximum thickness you need to cut and choose your cutter accordingly.
In case you are unsure of the cutter you’d need for your business, it’s best to go for a high-rated cutter. The A-rated cut is a thickness a cutter can cut at a rate of 10 inches per minute. A severe cut is the maximum thickness a cutter can cut even if it’s at a very slow speed.
You May Check:- Is Welding Bad for Your Eyes?
The duty cycle determines the durability of your plasma cutter. A higher duty cycle means your cutter will be able to last longer. The cycle decreases as you increase the voltage.
Plasma cutters vary quite a lot in weight. You will find cutters as light as 20 pounds and as heavy as 100 pounds. You need to decide the purpose of usage while selecting the weight.
If portability is important to you, choose a lightweight cutter, but typically, heavier cutters are more powerful. So, it all depends upon your usage.
A longer cutting torch is needed for larger workspaces because it can reach different directions while remaining at the same place. Smaller cutting torches are better for home DIY uses. You should also consider the shape of the handle to avoid any soreness when using it for long hours.
Q1. Is it okay to buy cheap plasma cutters?
Plasma cutters are expensive machines, and hence you should choose your cutter wisely. You can buy cheaper plasma cutters if you need to cut something like a 0.25-inch sheet once a week. Otherwise, you should choose a higher-end cutter with better quality, power, and durability.
Q2. Can I Cut Plastic using Plasma Cutter?
A major drawback of plasma cutters is that they can’t cut non-conductive materials. Hence, you can’t cut wood and plastic using such cutters. Moreover, these machines work on the basis of heat, which can damage non-conductive materials.
Q3. When can I use a Plasma Cutter?
You can use a plasma cutter to cut metals to specific lengths, build trailers, cut sections of metals, build custom fences, dismantling metal cars, and more.
Q4. What are the key benefits of a plasma cutter?
Plasma cutters deliver precise metal cutting at a quick speed. They are versatile machines with which you can cut metals of varying thicknesses.
Q5. Why should I buy a quality Plasma Cutter?
Cheap plasma cutters deliver poor efficiency and can break after a few uses. Since it’s costly equipment, you should select one that can last for years and even decades.
Our Top Pick
Miller Electric Plasma Cutter
The Miller Electric Plasma Cutter has a rated output of 140V DC and can even cut metals of thickness ⅝”. That makes it by far the best plasma cutter for industrial use, even though it’s a bit expensive. You might choose from other cost-effective options for household use, but Miller is ideal for industrial use.
After considering your purpose and costs, you should also factor in the versatility and durability of the machine. It’s not the equipment you’d buy every couple of years. Hence it’s better to forecast for the future and buy a cutter that would last long.